What are the new product features?
Gentle, pH neutral, micellar solution
EpiOtic SIS has received APVMA registration as a ‘gentle’ ear cleanser.1, 2 This is different from the EpiOtic original formula which had a lower pH.
This pH balanced, non-irritating formula is also registered as an aid in the removal of cellular debris and wax. It is also formulated to correct excessive moisture in the ear canal, which makes it ideal for dogs that swim; the same benefit owners enjoyed with the original EpiOtic product.
EpiOtic SIS also contains anti-odour technology, a patented aldehyde complex, that works to neutralise unpleasant smells resulting in a statistically significant decrease in odour.1, 2, 3
EpiOtic SIS is registered to kill and inhibit the growth of infectious agents associated with otitis externa.1, 4 It has antimicrobial action against Australian clinical isolates of bacteria and yeast representing the most common causes of canine otitis externa, including MRSP.4 It will also facilitate the delivery of prescribed ear medications, improving the penetration of ear medications and increasing the susceptibility of these infectious agents commonly associated with canine otitis externa.1, 4
One of the exciting changes to the formula is the addition of Virbac’s innovative Skin Innovative Science® (S-I-S), the name given to the combination of two technologies which work together to help the skin do its job.
- Defensin Technology5, 6, 7
Two plant extracts proven to stimulate the production of endogenous antimicrobial peptides help to control microbial overgrowth.
- Glycotechnology8, 9, 10
A clever combination of saccharides which decrease microbial adherence to the skin.
Why should you choose EpiOtic SIS?
SIS (Skin Innovative Science) Technology: Ingredients that work together to help the skin do its job.
Anti-odour technology: Neutralises unpleasant smells with anti-odour technology.
Gentle, pH neutral, micellar solution: pH balanced, non-irritating formula which helps to remove cellular debris and wax, and correct excessive moisture in the ear canal.
Antimicrobial action: Kills and inhibits the growth of infectious agents associated with otitis externa.
- Epiotic SIS APVMA Approval No. 91291/131613.
- Chan W.Y, Knowles A.G and Trott D.J, 2020, In vitro antimicrobial activity of Epiotic SIS and Easotic against pathogens associated with canine otitis externa in Australia, Veterinary Dermatology, Vol 31 (Suppl. 1), p78.
- Virbac data on efficacy for APVMA registration.
- McEwan, N.A., Kelly, R., Woolley, K., Reme, C.A., Gatto, H. & Nuttall, T.J. (2007). Sugar inhibition of Malassezia pachydermatis to canine corneocytes, Veterinary Dermatology, 18(3), 187-188.
- McEwan, N.A., Reme, C.A., Gatto, H. & Nuttall, T.J. (2006). Sugar inhibition of adherence by Staphylococcus intermedius to canine corneocytes, Veterinary Dermatology, 17(5), 358.
- McEwan, N.A., Reme, C.A., Gatto, H. & Nuttall, T.J. (2008). Monosaccharide inhibition of adherence by Pseudomonas aeruginosa to canine corneocytes, Veterinary Dermatology, 19, 221-225.
- Santordo, D. et al. (2016). Evaluation on the effects of 0.1% Peumus boldus leaf and Spiraea ulmaria plant extracts on bacterial colonization in canine atopic dermatitis: a preliminary randomised, controlled, double-blinded study. Accepted for communication at the WCVD 2016, Bordeaux, France.
- Marsella, R., Athrens, K., Vesney R, & Santano, D. (2013). Evaluation of the in vitro effect of plant extracts on the production of antimicrobial peptides and inflammatory markers in canine keratinocytes: a pilot study, Veterinary Dermatology, 24 308 – 309.